Tuesday 2 January 2018

Ancient Wisdom


New Year's day dawned bright and sunny and the pavements and cafes in Bodrum were packed and, although Jake and I had a job to negotiate the crowded quay, it was great to see Bodrum being enjoyed by so many people.  Apart from walks, I spent the day at home catching up with a weeks' newspapers and magazines. As usual at this time of year, current affairs had been abandoned in favour of lists and dietary advice; most of it preachy and contradictory in nature.  I mentioned in my Christmas post from Gümüşlük Beach that I had been trying to incorporate some ancient philosophy in my daily life and the more I learn the more relevant it becomes.  In answer to all the bloggers, vloggers  and diet gurus telling me to give up dairy, meat, carbs, fruit, wine and the kitchen sink,  I give you Epictetus,  who was born in 55 CE in Hierapolis (modern-day Pamukkale  - a few hours drive from Bodrum). 

"Preach not to others what they should eat but eat as becomes you and be silent"




13 comments:

  1. Love your painting of the Turkish olives - it even has a touch of Wm Morris about it.
    I have visited Pamukkale twice and whilst there travelled up into the hills to walk around Laodicea just as the sun was setting - it was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosemary - I am due for another visit to Pamukkale and Hierapolis soon.

      Delete
  2. An excellent sentiment and like Rosemary I love your olive painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My simple philosophy for trimming the fat is 'eat less and move more'. But I don't practice what I preach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this guy! Happy New Year to you, Annie. xoxo J and M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said dear Annie and what a gorgeous painting; beautiful. Everything in moderation is my motto and hopefully a wee bit more walk in nature, some dancing when possible and hopefully yoga. Enjoy Bodrum, cok sevgilerimle, Ozlemxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying the yoga - I feel the difference after 2 months

      Delete
  6. Ha ha....happy new year, Annie! Here's hoping it's a delicious year. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear BtoB, thanks so much for sharing that quote. It's what I've always tried to do with my vegetarian--not become a preacher! Peace in the new year.

    ReplyDelete