Tuesday 4 April 2017

Enriching Stitching


It looks like I'm a material girl after all; there is nothing better than an afternoon spent planning, drawing, choosing fabric, cutting and sewing.  Daughter Esi, friend Melanie and I spent Friday afternoon in the Mine Art Gallery in Palmarina, Yalıkavak in the company of textile artist Bettina Franckenberg, learning how to create a patchwork worthy of a frame.  If you are quick, you can catch Bettina's  'Light in the Darkness' exhibition before it ends on 8th April and see her fascinating hand-stitched patchworks and machine-stitched collages.


All the patchwork I'd done in the past was with repeated motifs and shapes so it was fun to learn how to create different patterns and be a bit more artistic and we were all proud of the work we took home. 


From the manner in which a woman draws her thread at every stitch of her needlework, any other woman can surmise her thoughts.  ~Honore de Balzac

I'm not sure I agree with Balzac as I'm pretty short sighted and have my eyes so close to the stitches I can't see anything around me, but Mel and I decided that we should start a Bodrum 'stitchin and bitchin' group which would negate any need for mind reading  - Any takers?

Photograph from The Mine Sanat Galerisi Facebook Page

Read more about Bettina and her exhibition on this Facebook Link - Scroll down for English.

15 comments:

  1. . . stitchin' 'n' bitchin' - sounds about right! Sorry, bad joke. It's a joke! Nice looking work pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your Stitch 'n Bitch group! We have a very successful one in Datca - we take it in turns to host at our homes, and some beautiful work is produced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Love the black and white one on the wall...very Zentangle. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to see one of your Zentangles done with a sewing machine.

      Delete
  4. Love, love, love the name :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear the group might start out being called Enriching Stitching but with Bodrum gals and a bottle or two it would soon be 'Stitchin and Bitchin'

      Delete
  5. It was fun with you!
    Thanks for joining!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Occasionally! Although it's usually home made soup in winter, and cakes and coffee in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hat's off to all of you! (I would only be able to contribute to the 'bitchin' part. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but it would be very informed bitchin

      Delete
    2. Yes, but it would be very informed bitchin

      Delete