Friday 15 April 2016

Transitions and Silver Linings



When you get given lemons, make lemonade, the saying goes.  When global strife, neighbouring civil war and a refugee crisis conspired to decimate Dave Stanley's Yacht Charter company's bookings this year, he picked up his brushes, dusted off his easel and got painting.  The fruits of this spurt in creativity are on show in Bodrum this month.  The most frequently heard comment at the exhibition opening  was " Wow Dave, we had no idea you were so talented", but we now learn that Dave trained under prominent Australian painter and sculptor Ian Bowie.  And all the time we had him down as a yachtie with a penchant for motor bikes.


Several of the painting explore the refugee dilemma and Dave generously auctioned one of his works and donated the proceeds to Bodrum Humanity, who are working to ease the plight of all those in dire need in the Bodrum area.





If you can't get along to Pannonica Jazz in Bodrum to see Dave's pictures, drop into his web site http://www.davestanleypaintings.com/  and  if you're thinking of a holiday cruising the Turkish Coast and Greek Islands, Dave hasn't given up the day job and can be contacted via Southern Cross Blue Cruising web site.  This is going to be one of the best years to sail the Aegean - the bays will be quieter than they've been for a couple of decades - almost as good as the 1980s and 90s when I had the luck to sail these coasts.

15 comments:

  1. I like what I can see very much and I applaud what he's doing. Just wish I could afford a cruising holiday in Turkey....I would if I could! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the best holiday in the world in my opinion. Fantastic food, different venue every day and blue, blue sea.

      Delete
  2. . . in every adversity lies the seeds of an equal or greater benefit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. B to B, Well, good for Dave and Bodrum, too. Plus, painting's safer than motor bikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark and Jolee , I'm not sure what I did to your comment - I agree painting is much safer than riding motor bikes - especially in Turkey

      Delete
  4. I knew Dave had hidden talents. We saw some of his art when we had dinner at their place. He was very modest but I thought they were amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bodrum always amazes me with the number of talented people living here.

      Delete
  5. Well done Dave. Wish you success as an artist. It is never too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Frank. I echo your wishes.

      Delete
  6. Well done dave - however you were the one who suggested the Syrians should stay home and defend their own country - or maybe that was a passing thought?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch indeed Angie...I recall that it was a round table discussion about history and governments and may have been taken out of context.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous paintings, well done to Dave - agree with you Annie, sailing around our beautiful coastline is the best holiday in the world, Ozlem xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best holiday in the world and best food on gulets. I happen to know that Dave and Dina pay even more special attention to the cuisine on board so five star food worthy of your kitchen is produced.

      Delete