Sunday 21 April 2013

Bodrum for Foodies.

When was the word "foodie" invented?  It seems to have slipped into common usage in the last 20 years or so and replaced  "gourmand". It implies to me a  more down-to-earth interest in food and a concentration on the sourcing of high quality ingredients rather than on an intricate recipe or  difficult-to-execute dish.  In my mind, gourmands were bloated old fogeys in butter stained waistcoats and foodies are healthy, ageless,  linen-wearers carrying baskets of organic asparagus and field mushrooms.  Whatever the definition, Bodrum is definitely becoming a haven for foodies.  This weekend saw portable kitchens set up in the harbour square and chefs from a multitude of hotels competing to produce the best dishes in Bodrum's Taste Festival.






Is there a collective noun for chefs?  A chiffonade of chefs or a catering of cooks? There was more than a soupçon of chefs around the centre of town today.

Despite all the enticing smells coming from the kitchen section, I was drawn to this stand.  As someone who can just about turn out a ghoulish candle holder at Halloween, I was blown away by these sculpted pumpkins, water melons  and vegetable flowers. Probably not in the best of taste, but quite an amazing display.






Recep, from Green Beach Resort, with his creations

26 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds just up my street! Will it still be on towards the end of this week? I agree absolutely - of course! - with yr definition of what a foodie is! Oh yes that's me!!! I think a gourmand is just someone who is greedy! See you soon, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Claudia, it was just a two day event. Give me a buzz when you know your dates.

      Delete
  2. I like bloated old foggies, but it's quite true that that comes to mind. I like foodie much better!

    The vegetable 'art' is exceptional if a bit creepy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vegetable art is a bit like sand art - getting more and more accomplished as time passes.

      Delete
  3. Wow, wish I'd been there for that, food is my favourite pastime. I tried to search for the collective noun for chefs, but got distracted after the third google result. However I can tell you that a group of cooks is called 'a hastiness of cooks.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Embarrassing that I don't know this after cooking for my living for so many years.

      Delete
  4. Apparently it's 'a hastiness of cooks' but I prefer 'a fricasee of chefs' or may 'a pinch...' Perhaps a 'doggy bag of chefs' might be more appropriate for the al fresco festival?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fricasee of chefs is perfect - better than a hastiness. If the chefs are like Gordon Ramsey, they should be a mouthful of chefs.

      Delete
  5. Oh, not only did we manage to miss the Ot Fest by arriving a week late, but we missed this one by arriving a week early. Our trips to Bodrum seem to be horribly badly timed!

    I do prefer 'foodie' to gourmand. Or even, for that matter, gourmet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think gourmet sounds less greedy than gourmand.

      Delete
  6. Gourmands conjured up, as you say, old fogies who could afford Michelin 3 star places; foodies something much more attainable for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. B to B, Loved your definitions - Yes, that's it exactly! I'm impressed with the Taste Festival coming on the heels of the Ot Festival. Bodrum sounds like a yummy place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You seem so lucky up in Bodrum having these events. There never seems to be anything like this in Antalya:(. Those pumpkin sculptures are amazing. I am sure the smells coming from the open kitchens must have been enticing also :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you heading to Kayakoy for the literary festival this weekend?

      Delete
  9. Bodrum sounds like such a fun and interesting place to live. That vegetable art is amazing! I too prefer foodie as I think we can all aspire to that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There always seems to be something going on

      Delete
  10. I like the image the word "foodie" brings to mind...as you say, someone more down-to-earth about food!! The produce art is incredible...I'd like to watch someone creating these faces, flowers, etc. I too am struck by the number of interesting events that occur in and around Bodrum...how fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tempted to get a pumpkin and have a go.

      Delete
  11. Love it all! What a wonderful setting - certainly a feast for the eyes. I wish I could have snatched a whiff too. My jaw dropped at the carved vegetable art too. Certainly, Bodrum seems to have it all!
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The empty square between the castle, harbour, mosque and Council building is an ideal spot for stalls, displays and stages.

      Delete
  12. . . Recep has my vote - an artist who will never starve in some garret!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Backto Bodrum you really know how to make someone want to visit Bodrum don't you? Amazing carving!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am with you re foodie definition - Bodrum is the place to be looks like it : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...looks like a very fun foodie event! :-)

    ReplyDelete